My Little Pony
Smurf-Killer Squee Offline
A piss-poor spriter
Registered

Threads: 10
RE: My Little Pony
Really guys? Really?

(13-08-2012, 05:26 PM)Flashchat Wrote: Smurf-Killer_Squee: welp. off to try a few ideas for the exploding goo thing.
AshuraAlchemist: heh
AshuraAlchemist: air humping, then exploding goo

[Image: EBevD.png]

01-11-2012, 04:38 AM
Find Reply
ACESpark Offline
Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas.
Administrators

Threads: 195
There ain't much else to talk about until the series actually, well, hits.

Or are you referring to the fact that we're getting hyped over a cartoon with pastel coloured ponies?

01-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Website Find Reply
Lamda Offline
Ace of Spades
Registered

Threads: 28
(01-11-2012, 10:14 AM)ACE_Spark Wrote: Or are you referring to the fact that we're getting hyped over a cartoon with pastel coloured ponies?
You say that like it's a bad thing.
01-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Find Reply
King Reaper Offline
Are you uncomfortable yet?
Registered

Threads: 6
I know it doesn't actually hit for another week, but I thought it couldn't hurt to get the hype train rolling

How about that eight minute teaser guys?

[Image: 5vbyfo.jpg]
01-11-2012, 04:40 PM
Find Reply
Fugsnarf Offline
Regular
Registered

Threads: 2
(01-11-2012, 10:14 AM)ACE_Spark Wrote: Or are you referring to the fact that we're getting hyped over a cartoon with pastel coloured ponies?

I still don't really get why. This certainly isn't the only place with people that are crazy about this cartoon, but I still can't get why.

[Image: CrapcomLogo_1860.jpg]
01-11-2012, 07:39 PM
Find Reply
ACESpark Offline
Administrators

(01-11-2012, 07:39 PM)Fugsnarf Wrote: I still don't really get why. This certainly isn't the only place with people that are crazy about this cartoon, but I still can't get why.

Me personally? It makes me laugh. It is honest to god funny, the characters are endearing and the voice acting is absolutely stellar. The quality animation helps it make it a well rounded show.
And for the most part, the writing doesn't talk down to it's intended audience. Plenty of references for the older age group, somehow, get snuck in there as well.

It's not perfect, by any stretch, but damned entertaining.

Also any show that managed to get Q to play Q gets an automatic "This is awesome." vote.

Personally, I'm seriously looking forward to the return of John de Lancie. Discord still remains one of my personal favourite characters (Queen Chrysalis was a very good villian, but a bit more generic than Discord.), so I'm still holding out hope he's returning to that role.

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2012, 07:53 PM by ACESpark.)
01-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Website Find Reply
King Reaper Offline
Registered

I feel like part of the appeal for most people is the whole forbidden fruit mentality in a way, or at least that's what it was early on
It was fun to watch because it was something you really weren't supposed to be watching

but in the end it's a good show for all the reasons ace listed etc etc
and it's most definitely not everyone's cup of tea and people are allowed to dislike it if they like live and let live etc

just thought I'd put it out there that the pony fans of inc aren't trying to indoctrinate the entire boards or anything

02-11-2012, 05:48 AM
Find Reply
Lamda Offline
Ace of Spades
Registered

There's also the fact that it's extremely reminiscent of the good old 90's cartoons. This isn't just because it has Faust and crew on board, who helped created that generation of cartooning, but because it uses the same elements. Slapstick, shtick(yes, there's a difference), wry, dry, implied, alluding, and well-timed are all aspects of the comedy involved, it uses VAs who are frickin' timeless (here's lookin' at you, Tara), and it doesn't push itself too hard as a "little-girl" cartoon, which is where a lot of brony hate stems from.

It's just all-around awesome.
03-11-2012, 12:00 AM
Find Reply
ACESpark Offline
Administrators

(03-11-2012, 12:00 AM)Lamda Bamda Wrote: which is where a lot of brony hate stems from.

I think the brony hate comes from the same reason there's a crazy amount of furry hate.

The annoying ones are really loud and obnoxious, and are the sort of men children who throw hissy fits over people hating their hobby.
And thus, the haters get a rise out of those sorts of people, whereas the reasonable ones just sort of facepalm and think to themselves "Shut up you idiots you're making us look bad!".

But that can be literally applied to any fandom really.

03-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Website Find Reply
King Reaper Offline
Registered

Except the worst of the pony fandom is worse than the worst of pretty much any other fandom, and the good fans do nothing to stop the bad fans

So people assume the bad fans are all there is

I mean the pony fandom is full of pedos and rapists and racists and bigots and misogynists and horsefuckers and people who perpetuate shit like rape fiction and god it's just terrible

03-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Find Reply
ACESpark Offline
Administrators

(03-11-2012, 07:28 PM)Madame Rarity Wrote: I mean the pony fandom is full of pedos and rapists and racists and bigots and misogynists and horsefuckers and people who perpetuate shit like rape fiction and god it's just terrible

As I said before, this can be applied to any fandom. I don't find anything the darkside of the brony fandom does any more shocking than say, the darkside of the comic book fandom. Or the furry fandom. Or even the Megaman fandom, (although the darkside of this is a bit quieter, I've encountered some rather disturbing individuals in this fandom.)

Unfortunately the brony fandom is a sort of mix between furries and 4channers, so I guess there might be a few more of the disturbed ones, at least vocal and loud out there.

03-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Website Find Reply
Lamda Offline
Ace of Spades
Registered

Well, it does only take one idiot loud enough to drown out a hundred reasonable others.
04-11-2012, 12:10 AM
Find Reply
King Reaper Offline
Registered

Well one of the biggest things the pony fandom has going against it is the idea that it's not normal for men to like the show, so people actively seek out the bad parts to put them in the light so they can say "SEE!? SEE!? I TOLD YOU THEY WERE WEIRD"

04-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Find Reply
ACESpark Offline
Administrators

Yeah. There's that.

04-11-2012, 07:03 PM
Website Find Reply
King Reaper Offline
Registered

Only a couple more days

08-11-2012, 06:24 AM
Find Reply
CHAOS-FANTAZY Offline
Dr. Coda
Registered

Threads: 3
Oh right
the admin is a brony here and I don't need to hide it
(08-11-2012, 06:24 AM)Madame Rarity Wrote: Only a couple more days
I know, right? I can barely believe that this Saturday morning I'm going to get up, find a Livestream, and watch some new ponies. You'd think I'd be more excited, especially considering I can barely hold all this hype.

But yeah, I'm a big pony fan. I'm no big part of the fandom like John Joseco or Sethisto, but I would still like to say I'm fairly active in it. Unfortunately, I can't really draw, so all I've got are my fan-fiction-writing powers--OOPS IS THAT A SHAMELESS PLUG.
08-11-2012, 11:20 PM
Find Reply
ACESpark Offline
Administrators

Actually watched an episode live for the first time.

My god, American commercials are terrible.

First thoughts?:

Songs were ok, but not the strongest of season openers overall. It had it's funny moments.

[spoiler]King Sombre was a bit shit really wasn't he? All that build up, and he didn't DO anything.
His literal Trap Door was pretty good but, that was.. about all he did.

That said.. he's also.. well.. dead. Dead dead. That was surprising. So... He isn't going to be redeemed anytime soon then.
[/spoiler]

I guess Season 2's opening WAS very hard to top after all. Not the best of starts.

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2012, 04:06 PM by ACESpark.)
10-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Website Find Reply
CHAOS-FANTAZY Offline
Dr. Coda
Registered

Threads: 3
Copy-pasting my thoughts from another place because I'm too lazy to write personalized messages.

Welcome back to a long-needed New Episode Discussion. Hopefully, you all believe that Season Three was worth the wait. Well...jeez, where to start?

Okay, first off...King Sombra (King Somber? I hope y'all are ready for the next Cadence/Cadance...) was a pretty weak villain. He barely spoke, and when he did, he sounded like a mindless brute. Unlike Chrysalis or NMM, there was literally no reason for him to be a villain--which can be played off well (see Discord), but it wasn't. I expected a cool, suave mastermind, and I got a dumb, slow beast. True shame.
At least his powers were cool. Seriously, though, Celestia...why would you turn a Shadow Lord into shadows? Shadows are ridiculously strong anyway.
Maybe we'll see more of him. I seem to recall being told that this season would have more of a "sub-linear" feel to it, and his death was rather anticlimactic and didn't make it feel like he died...I dunno. But for now, he takes fourth place on the villainy chart, beneath Chrysalis.

Well, we've got a new plethora of magic! To count them, we've got gravity shifts, magic jammers, and--oh, glorious day--our first use of true Dark Magic. Love the aesthetic difference, by the way. I love the way Sombra's "Fear Door" was played up, with the lock opened by Dark Magic...at first, I thought Twilight had failed because she had allowed herself to think Dark Magic would solve all her problems.

It brings me great joy to see Twilight not standing alone in the spotlight. I can't believe it didn't even occur to me until the very end that Spike had been taken along on one of the Mane Cast's "Save-the-World" adventures. I also was not expecting him to be that important (Read: at all).
...I sure hope this isn't leading up to what I think it will, but I am interested to see Twilight's "Next Level of Study." Maybe it will aid her in the Magic Duel coming up later this season? I'll definitely be looking forward to that episode.

...Well, that's all I've got to say. Let's raise our cider glasses to another season! Cheers!
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2012, 04:25 PM by CHAOS-FANTAZY.)
10-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Find Reply
ACESpark Offline
Administrators

No-one watching?

Ok here goes:

"Too Many Pinkie Pies" was an absolutely amazing.. if somewhat horrifying episode. Seriously, Twilight is now canonically a brutal callous murderer.
So it manages to balance the nightmare fuel with the comedy.
Also this:

God, this made me do a spit-take. Kudos show runners. I'm surprised Hasbro let you get away with half the stuff you do.

And you know what, One Bad Apple was pretty good too. I don't usually watch CMC episodes straight away.. but this one was definitely a good one!
Also, annoyingly catchy song is annoyingly catchy. I've had it in my head since Saturday now. MM - What

(This post was last modified: 26-11-2012, 02:52 PM by ACESpark.)
26-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Website Find Reply
King Reaper Offline
Registered

One Bad Apple for only good cmc episode ever
All in favor say aye

27-11-2012, 05:26 AM
Find Reply