hitboxes on 8bit MegaMan
slimey Offline
Regular
Registered

hitboxes on 8bit MegaMan
The board description said we can ask for help here, right? I'm trying to mark out the hitboxes on 8bit Mega Man, but I don't quite trust my judgement.

1) Can I basically use the same hit box (the green rectangle) for all the frames, except for the slide sprite?

2) should the slide sprite's hitbox actually be shorter, with the bottom at his hands, rather than at his feet?

3) Other stuff? I.e. the ladder-climbing hitbox, or the stand-and-shoot hitbox?

[Image: 1afd2af280b3d19d621b2afa5d52f042.png]

embarrassingly enough, I'm not as big a Mega Man guy as I thought I was.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 07:14 AM by slimey.)
06-04-2013 07:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ACESpark Online
Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas.
Administrators

Tetris AwardSpike AwardRockman AwardRevo Remix ContributorSIBRE ContributorSmash AwardAce Award
RE: hitboxes on 8bit MegaMan
Megaman's hitbox is actually this size:

The same size as his "Getting Hit" flash.

Which you may notice, is actually bigger than the Sprite itself.

Ultimately, that is how Capcom did it, if you are wanting to give the player a bit more leeway, then your hitbox certainly isn't bad.
Basically, yes, he has the same sized hitbox for every animation except sliding, as far as I can tell, (which is probably 24x16 rather than 24x24, but it's definitely the same width. Don't bother changing the width for sliding or you'll run into a mess of collision problems.)

06-04-2013 12:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
slimey Offline
Regular
Registered

huh. Really? I wonder why the heck I was over complicating it... I guess my quick reference was ZX Advent (and it's "ancient" minigame), and so...

Anyways, thanks a lot! This makes my life way easier.
08-04-2013 05:02 AM
kuja killer Offline
Regular
Registered

I think this will help you out more.

A rom hacker named Puresabe (famous for rockman 4 mi) made lua scripts for all 6 NES mm's, that display hitboxes for megaman and all objects enemies that exist in the games.

It should be useful to you (it sure is for me).
http://www.mediafire.com/?fx6tb9hr6jfk1rc
These scripts only work with with the emulator fceux 2.15 or higher.

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like on all 6 games.
[Image: 9k0xts.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 01:44 PM by kuja killer.)
10-04-2013 11:22 AM
Vanya Offline
Registered

Sweet! This makes me glad I put off working on my Megaman engine. This will make things WAAAY easier. Thanks!
12-04-2013 05:06 AM
ACESpark Online
Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas.
Administrators

Tetris AwardSpike AwardRockman AwardRevo Remix ContributorSIBRE ContributorSmash AwardAce Award
Wow, I got that one completely wrong. Remind me not to quote facts off the internet!

12-04-2013 10:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ash Offline
The English Major Malfunction
Super Moderators

Deadchat AwardWedge AwardInafune AwardACESpark Admin AwardSIBRE Contributor
Don't quote "facts" of the internet.
13-04-2013 01:59 AM
slimey Offline
Regular
Registered

ok, I see I guessed wrong on my 'stand n shoot' hitbox (first post). Could someone else do a quick study on the other frames? Perhaps using the "print screen" key to just capture screen shots of the basic Mega Man frames? I actually haven't used an emulator in years, and I have the choice of either tracking that stuff down, or working on code (and the coding needs to get done).

yes, I know I'm being lazy, but trust me, I'll give back.

And hey, instead of having every megaman fan game enthusiast redo the same basic work of getting hitboxes, why not tackle this collectively, and record these exploits? In addition to collecting the sprites, why not include information on collision boxes in a systematic way, that people who come after us can use?

My current approach has been to set up a paint.net file with a background layer that looks like this:
[Image: 78bcb4abf61781d9352e765366cb276d.png]
Each box is basically 25 pixels, and the pattern in the middle roughly denotes the location of my hit box. So all I need to do is position sprites such that their upper left corner is in the corner of the hitbox, and due to the system I'm using, that makes it easy to (1) define the "quads" on the sprite sheet that corresponds to certain frames, and (2) draw the sprites off-set form the hitboxes of my game-objects. To shift from classic to ZX sprites, I could basically use the same method, except use 100x100 squares instead of 50x50.

(rough, early, demo version)
[Image: 12e3cf0cd5d626877334446ec62a7eff.png]

My proto-type (not the image above) is attached to this post. Even though it uses the incorrect hitboxes presented in post#2. All I'd have to do to fix them is essentially re-position them within their squares. While the changing of hit-box size is an issue, that's not something that can be reflected in the sprite sheet alone.

Of course though, this can only be applied once I actually know what the hitboxes are, and I really can't afford to spend too much time looking into all these small things--- This eats away at the little time I etch away to work on code to begin with.

-------------------
EDIT: speaking of Lua, I'm using LÖVE (or Love2D) which is an open source framework for making games in Lua. wiki
Eventually I hope to build it up into a more robust system that will enable more people code, and do all that geeky stuff (though I'm a novice myself).

...I'm going to see if I can attach the most recent stuff I've been working on. It's not my best, but it basically shows how I'm "leveling up," or slowly building up to a larger system.

[edit, I can't, but here's a work around]
forum post elsewhere:love2d.org: slowly building a boss rush.
sprites v2.love
boss simple.love

And the coolest thing is that you should be able to "look inside" the program pretty simply by changing it from a .love file to a .zip file. This makes it pretty well suited for an open source collaboration project. Though if you're using windows, in order to see the extensions you'll probably need to make an empty zip archive, look inside it, and then use the window that comes up to find the .love file, and rename it from a .love to a .zip.

Here's the concept demonstrated on Ubuntu. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ7UeuxE9VA

And I'm not completely new to all this either. It's been about a year for me since I picked up the hobby. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3OelZVnlmU (mostly from march2012-summer2012). Part of my goal is building something anyone can use, get a hold of, or tweak. I guess I'm really just an open source / makers movement / geek power fan boy.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

(This post was last modified: 13-04-2013 08:34 PM by slimey.)
13-04-2013 07:57 PM